Hi, Alex et al.:

          I finally installed LibreOffice 4.5, and the Solver worked there.  Thanks so much to all
who replied to my requests for help on this — especially Alex, who filed several comments on this
with Bug 80680 (and probably others) relating to this issue.

          Installing LO 4.5 is not easy, because it’s still in the early stages of development.  I
finally found in from the LO Dowloands Page -> Download: Development versions -> Nightly Builds:
Access the Nightly builds server here -> Master -> MacOSX-10.10@61/ -> 2015-02-05 00:36:56 (most
recent date) -> *_x86-64.dmg.

          Before installing LO 4.5, I tried 4.3.4.1, 4.3.6.1, and 4.4.0.2, all of which failed
under OS X 10.10.1.  I started with 4.3.4.1, because that version worked for me under Windows 7.
Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me under OS X.

          Thanks again,
          Spencer