On 30/01/15 19:41, libreoffice-ml.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
It looks like I was a bit quick to blame IE. It turns out it's 1 of the
3 mirrors in the UK which is misbehaving. Doesn't affect other browsers,
as they seem to just use the .msi extension from the download URI,
whereas IE uses the Content-Type header returned by the server and
changes the extension to match.

Nevertheless, arguably incorrect browser behaviour. From the user's perspective, he's offered a file with a specific name and type on the server, and would expect it to appear with that name, especially as the application type is invisible to the user. If there's an extension/app-type mismatch, I for one would expect a warning at least before changing the extension. To be fair, the download dialogue already shows the incorrect extension, and it can be changed in the 'file open' dialogue if the user knows to do so. But IMO it shouldn't be so :-{

I notice the failing server also helpfully truncates all the file names to the same short string on the download web page, so the user cannot see what the name should be. (At least, that's how it looks in front of me now). Perhaps they would best be removed from the list of mirrors until they sort out their act.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England