On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, tonybsa wrote:

It is a good idea to register the database as then the data is accessible
to the Writer and Calc programs under "View Data Source"

Tony,

  Thought this to be the case.

LibreOffice Base can be a database!! but in your case the database is
SQLlite and the LibreOffice Base is just a way of working with the data
from the SQLlite database. When you save the newly created connection to
the database by giving your Base file a name you are in fact creating the
front end, NOT a database!!

  Wondered about this so I went ahead and created a file with the .odb
extension.

open it you will find all your SQLlite tables, views, procedures, etc.
displayed in the front end and you can then edit or work with the data in
the SQLlite database. If your connection to the database is good you can
now control the input and extracion of data using your Base front end.

  Ah, but here's the problem: Base is looking for libsqliteodbc.so which is
specific to SQLite2. Since SQLite3 has been out a few years now, I looked
for a way to tell Base the library is called libsqlite3odbc but could not
find a configuration option.

  On the one hand, I can make a soft link from /usr/local/lib/sqlite3odbc.so
to /usr/local/lib/sqliteodbc.so, but that won't work for the users on
Windows.

  If someone points me to the way of telling Base that the library is for
SQLite3, I'll make the fix and move on with the project.

Many thanks,

Rich