Thanks, Terry, Sorry about that. I got in a rush. But thanks for responding.

I'm using Linux, Debian 7amd64, kernel 3.2.63, hplip 3.14.1 with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8100.
CUPS is installed, v1.5.3and LibreOffice 4.2.6.3.

I have two CUPS printer configs for that printer, one for normal printing and one for duplex. If I try to pick the obvious settings through LO for printing, which I figured would be 'Long Edge (standard) for the 'duplex' setting, then it doesn't work. I found a posting that indicated that the LO 'file/print/properties' selection should use <ignore> for the duplex settingand that actually appears to work but it's still a problem that no printer settings entered through LO are saved. I should be able to pick my printer (hp8100duplex) and print double sided without needing to make that choice each time.
A small extra step, but irritating.

But here is an interesting observation. CUPS shows the printers configured with hplip 3.13.11 but the hplip device manager version is3.14.1 . More investigation is warranted.

I'm open to suggestions.

tony

If it's any consolation to anyone, OpenOffice operates the same way.