Hi :)
That sounds truly bizarre!

1.  Do you have different versions of LibreOffice installed in parallel?

2.  If you open the newer version of LibreOffice and use the
File - Open
dialogue to open one of the old files does that force it to open in the
newer version of LO and give it the correct dialogues?

3.  If you open the newer version of LibreOffice and close all open
documents so that you get back to the LO splash-screen then can you
drag&drop the old files into the grey area around the central splash-screen?

When you open an old file normally (ie by double-clicking on it) and then
go up to
Help - About
what version of LibreOffice does it say the file is open in?

Regards from
Tom :)