Hi Jake,

Here is the excellent advise I got from Mark Bourne WHY LibreOffice "brochure" print BEHAVES this way

=============

"I think the problem is that the proportions of an 8.5x11" page are
different from the proportions of half a page (which is 5.5x8.5"), so a
simple scaling doesn't work. When content created at 8.5x11" is scaled
to fit on half a page, the 8.5" side become 5.5", while the 11" side is
scaled by the same proportion to 7.1" - less than the 8.5" height which
is actually available.

Try creating the content with the page size set to 5.5x8.5" (or
8.5x13.1" if that makes it easier to adapt the existing content), then
print that as a brochure on 8.5x11" paper.

(Doesn't help you much using US paper sizes, but for those using the
European "A" sizes - A4, A5, etc. - this isn't so much of a problem;
those sizes are designed so that the proportions remain the same when a
page is cut in half)

Mark."

=============

THE FIX FOR US LETTER SIZE 8.5x11in PAPER

I found that margins were still an issue with Mark's advise and margins, so here is how I fixed it for me AND these are also what I would suggest to you.

--------------------------

Set your page size in

* menu item "Format->Page->Page(tab)" to:

** Width: 5.50in
** Height: 8.50in

** Margins: all set to .50in

This will allow you control to print as close as possible to the edge of your "brochure" (pamphlet) size document.

--------------------------

Note that it is still important that, at the point of printing, you still go and print using the

"Print->PageLayout(tab)->Brochure(tagged radio button)"

--------------------------

If you are now printing too closely to the margins, just adjust your margin settings in the "Format->Page->Page(tab)" to make it work. You will have to experiment to get the result you want with your margins.

--------------------------

IF you are printing a whole lot of copies and your printer does not allow double-sided printing, you can print with the:

"Print->PageLayout(tab)->Brochure(tagged radio button)" BUT also right below you will find

* "Brochure radion button"

** choose Page sides->Back sides / left pages
** then take your printed pages and flip them over and then
** choose Page sides->Front sides / right pages

Note that:

Printing multiple pages in this order will have them come out of your printer in the right sorted order to separate them manually and fold them. If you do the printing of sides with right page and then left pages, then you will have to collate them and then fold.

TIPS ABOUT BLANK PAGES IN YOUR PRINT

ALSO, if you are printing a "brochure" (pamphlet) with multiple pages, be prepared to see some BLANK PAGES. You may then have to adjust the amount of pages you actually use in the document to make the print job work. So, in some cases, I have had to add an additional blank page at the end of my document to make the brochure print work out ... this then gave me an additional side to add more information (I volunteer for a music group and print out our concert programs using this method and it works really well! AND is helping convert some of our musicians and volunteer staffers to LibreOffice -- I have standardized our office suite to LibreOffice, just by offering up documents in the ODF formats and the .pdf-hybrid formats.)

TIPS ABOUT FONT SIZE

LASTLY, using this method, you are also in control of the FONT SIZE, which is scale exactly to the proportion you use on your brochure, so you may want to take a look at your font size ... I have my font size to 11 on some pages and 12.

Hope this helps.

Marc

--
Marc Paré