Am 05.11.2014 um 01:23 schrieb Virgil Arrington:
I fully agree with you. Just learning how styles control so much in
Writer is very helpful. But, I have spent literally hours setting up and
modifying styles. While it has been a labor of love for me, it has been
a labor and a major investment in time, time I might not have if all I'm
trying to do is type a three paragraph letter. And, there have been
those times when the styles just seem to want to fight against me. While
I find such battles fun, they do often distract from the task at hand.

Virgil

_Back on topic_
Either you  insert (type/paste/import) character content (including tab
stops) into pre-formatted paragraphs or you insert character content and
apply your own paragraph styles aftwerwards (including tab stop
positions for the right presentation). Content and presentation are two
separated things.

_Off topic_
For 99% of all *my* formatting and grouping the built-in styles are just
fine. Whether I start with my own Writer template or compile something
from scratch is not that important. In both cases I use styles that are
already there and if I modify any styles this is a much easier process
than doing all the formatting within the document. In rare cases the
outcome is a new template for a new type of document with modified
styles and few user-defined ones.

But I am not particularly picky with all this.