Hi :)
+1

I think there is a balance somewhere.  I found that about 20mins of reading
the "Published Guides" chapter on styles and spending about 10mins messing
with settings saved me about an hour or more on a task that had previously
taken at least an hour.  I can't remember the exact times but it was
something like that.  It's probably in the archives from maybe 2-3 years
ago but it's not worth looking up better estimates.

Of course i was panicking at the time so i wasn't in the best frame of mind
for really taking it all in but even a small investment of time helped save
me quite a bit of time that one time and has continued to save me tons of
time ever since.  I do often go with the defaults but keep meaning to
set-up a set of styles to make all my different letters a bit more
consistent with each other across different systems.

I think you can get some useful time-saving stuff without having to spend
hours setting it up.  That hopefully gives you more time to improve on your
styles to make more time-savings and/or to make your documents look
better.
Regards from
Tom :)