Hi :)
Ahh, you reminded me!  Yes i used to like that feature of Wordperfect a LOT
too.  With Writer and Word i've always tended to switch on the backwards P
to show all non-printing characters.  It doesn't go quite as far as Wp did
but it's still a huge help.

Errr, most people seem to hate seeing those characters and seem to think
Writer is broken when they see them on my screen or see it as proof that
Writer is unusable.  So i have to switch them off a lot of the time, when
working with others :(

You seem to be the first person saying that you have seen the odd behaviour
in other versions of LibreOffice.  Are you sure you switched Bold off?
Regards from
Tom :)