[libreoffice-users] Re: LibreOffice Still?

Hi,

Paul-6 wrote
> So far I have heard a lot of defense of the current terminology, butmost
> of it has been to point out that the alternatives are not better(a
> debatable point), very little has been to point out why the
> currentterminology is any good. And very little has been said about any
> otherconsiderations, like the need for better explanation.

Fair enough criticism. Let me be specific: CLEAR RISK WARNING.
The terms: Unstable, Stable and Old-Stable HAVE AN INTRINSIC RISK WARNING.
The terms: Fresh and Still ARE DEVOID OF ANY INDICATION OF RISK. They
require a cross-reference. And even then if the cross-reference does not
clearly identify the risk, you will have still succeeded in misdirecting the
user into more risk than they may desire.
Here's an idea: (and it's just an idea)

Plain
English

Risk Level

Libre

Office

No Risk Level

What the user NEEDS to know in terms of RISK.

Unstable /

Testing

Fragrant

This is the testing version.

This is where we try all the new and funky ideas for features.

When we get enough users using a particular feature to give us
confidence that it is ready for release into the stable platform, it
will be.

Tests fail. That's why they are tests.

Documents may not be compatible with the next stable version.

Use this to try the new and experimental features and concepts.

DON'T EVEN THINK OF USING THIS FOR CRITICAL DOCUMENTS.

Stable

Fresh

This is the current stable version.

This version has passed the LO file handling test suite and has not
shown itself to create any problems with existing documents from
previous versions.

This version contains new features which may not be backward compatible.

As issues are found they are corrected with updates.

There is some risk that the new things may not work as desired. If that
happens just click on the old-stable icon and continue in the old-stable
version.

Please report any issues you find.

USE THIS FOR DOCUMENTS THAT ARE NOT CRITICAL.

Old Stable

Still

This is the final version of the previous stable version with all
patches and updates.

This has the least risk of creating problems with any of your existing
documents from previous versions.

This lacks the new features of the stable and testing versions.

USE THIS FOR CRITICAL AND COMPLEX DOCUMENTS FROM PREVIOUS VERSIONS.

Archive

Sedentary

These are all the previous final old-stable versions of each series.

They are here for users that found some functionality useful. (i.e.
discontinued word processor format outputs, etc.).

These versions are no longer supported.

DON'T BOTHER ASKING ABOUT THESE VERSIONS, NOBODY WILL ANSWER.