Thanks Brian for the reply,
                                                  The data acquisition
device samples at "approximately 1 sample per second" not a nice fixed
sample rate.  And unfortunately time stamps the first and last sample only.

If the sample values are in column A1, then I'd like an "approximate"
time-line in the cells between the start logging and stop logging times in
column B2.

What I'm after is to look at my notes taken at different times (the time
noted) during logging, and identify the approximate sample that corresponds
to them.

I'm afraid I don't understand your example as it looks like you have the
samples in a row not a column.