Here's another one that's not quite clean, but it's nicer than the original:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/how-to-search-for-text-inside-many-opendocument-files/

Cheers.
MR

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Tom Davies <tomcecf@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi :)
Blimey!  I can't believe how many different ways of doing it have been
suggested and how many answers this thread has received.  Brilliant work
everyone!  I learn tons through this thread and really enjoyed it.
Many thanks and regards from
Tom :)