Paul wrote:
Well, it does seem like all your mails do this, but not all mails from
this list exhibit this behaviour. Most mails from the list, even
replies, are addressed to the list. Yours are different in that they're
not addressed to the list, only CCd to the list. Some other people's
replies are the same, but I'd say not most.

When the mail is addressed to the list, or addressed to someone else and CCd
to the list, I can just click reply, but when the mail is addressed to
me personally and only CCd to the list clicking Reply replies to the
sender only.

I can only think that it's a difference in email clients and how they
handle list messages. The messages contain list headers, so most
clients, like mine, must pick that up and automatically reply to the
list, but some, like yours, must be ignoring those and replying to the
sender instead. I think.

Indeed. I think Tom tends to Reply All, so you get two copies - one direct and one through the list. If you reply to the direct one, that doesn't have the List-* headers, so will go only to Tom by default. If you reply to the one received through the list, that does have the List-* headers and if your mail client uses them it will reply to the list.

In my client, I have to select Reply to List to use the List-Reply header, but it sounds like yours uses it by default if available.

So if I'm understanding the process right, it's not so much a problem
with how the list is set up (other than that it doesn't rewrite the
sender header), but rather with some clients not honouring the list
headers.

Yep. This list is set up differently from many others, but it is more correct. It shouldn't rewrite the From or Reply-To headers as that causes other problems, particularly as this list accepts emails from non-subscribed users who sometimes request a direct copy of replies. If the From or Reply-To address has been overwritten, it is difficult or even impossible to email or copy someone individually. The Sender header I think would be safe to overwrite, but doing so wouldn't be particularly useful as mail clients don't use it for replies.

Mark.