Paul wrote:
The list is technically correct, in that it shouldn't enforce Reply-To
header rewriting to *force* all mails to go back to the list, and
instead provides the List-* headers as per the RFC. Though arguably it
would be fine to overwrite the Reply-To header,

That would still cause problems, as it makes it difficult to reply to an individual if the need arises. Especially as this list accepts posts from non-subscribed users, who sometimes request a direct copy of the mail.

For a start, overwriting the Reply-To header would make Reply and Reply All both go to only the list, and not the original sender (Reply-To overrides From). It's difficult to persuade many clients to reply (or even copy) the From address when a Reply-To address is set.

Additionally, if a user had set their own Reply-To address, expecting replies to go to that address instead of their From address, that would be completely lost.

because it changes the
default to be a reply to the list, and users can override that if they
want,

No, they can't; that's the problem. If I send an email with my own Reply-To header, to a list which overwrites Reply-To, that list removes my Reply-To header and sets its own.

In this list's setup, I can set the Reply-To address to the list address, indicating that I don't want a direct copy and replies should go to the list. (I don't usually bother to do that, but I have the choice).

rather than the current situation with non-smart mail clients,
which is the reverse.