Hi :)
Personally i would rather see Base becoming much easier and much more
reliable.  So instead of duplicating the database functionality it would
just be easier to incorporate it's use into spreadsheets that have grown a
bit further than might have been planned.

I feel like there are signs of this beginning to happen though.  The move
away from an internal java-based back-end to using a non-java-based one is
a good step imo.  The database experts on this mailing-list have pointed
out that much more needs to be done but i think getting away from java as
quickly as reasonably possible has been a crucial 'first' step.
Regards from
Tom :)