Hi :)
Errr, i wouldn't have thought of poking around in the bios but it's a
brilliant idea!
Regards from
Tom :)

On 14 August 2014 08:36, Tom Davies <tomcecf@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi :)
I agree with Jean-Francois Nifenecker that it might be worth poking
around in the Bios.

It's a scary thing for most normal users but i'm guessing you've already
had a look back when you changed the boot-order to install non-Windows.
So, you already know that you can poke around quite a bit to explore and
then escape without saving changes.

I tend to use that "Exit without saving changes" to allow me to explore,
exit and then back in again to make the specific changes i want.  Also i
find it's worth taking photos of the different screens before making
adjustments or to jot down the changes i make so that if it does go weird i
can get it back to the way it was before without having to take the mbord
battery out to reset it.

Windows wont have any effect on anything outside of itself.  It can't even
see non-Windows partitions and often claims such things don't exist.

However there is firmware but that is between the hardware manufacturer
and your machine.  It's nothing to do with MS.

Some distros are better at hardware detection than others.  Some prefer
one set of defaults others prefer different configurations.  Apparently
Mint is the only one to think that you might prefer the manufacturers
defaults rather than the FOSS ones.

An interesting thread!  Thanks! :))
Regards from
Tom :)