italovignoli wrote
On 10/08/14 03:01, Owen Genat wrote:

The Transitional and Strict formats are both defined in ISO/IEC 29500.

In ISO/IEC 29500 there is only one transitional definition, while
Microsoft has produced three different transitional versions (two
without definition, i.e. Transitional 2010 and Transitional 2013) within
the same pseudo-standard.

I could have been clearer. I was indicating that the Transitional form is
defined in the indicated specification, rather than ONLY in the indicated
specification. As I indicated in my prior response this form is defined in
all three editions of the OOXML specification (both ECMA and ISO/IEC). It is
unreasonable to expect an earlier version of any product to write out
documents compliant with the latest version of a specification, until the
product has been patched to do so. LO is identical in this manner e.g.,
legacy documents written out non-compliantly using LO v3.x may cause
problems in future versions of LO. Reports of this nature come up on
Bugzilla. Some cases are easily fixable, some are less easily fixed.

italovignoli wrote
Transitional, by the way, is not defined as a standard format (because it
is incompatible with the Gregorian Calendar, and because it includes
proprietary blobs not released within the "covenant not to sue"). OOXML
Strict is a standard ...

We are agreed that Transitional is a virtually unimplementable form of the
OOXML specification. Both Transitional and Strict are however now enshrined
in ISO/IEC so we have to live with this in the same way we are still living
with the original Lotus 1-2-3 leap year date error that Microsoft inherited.
TDF / LO have decided (freely) to implement support for ISO/IEC 29500
compliant documents so the burden is now on us all to assist as best we can.
I say all this with full respect Italo.

Hopefully the next versions of MSO will use the Strict form by default, so
the transition away from the interrim form can begin in earnest. I am always
grateful of the terrific work being done by the developers in this area and
assist as I can in the forums and with bug reports.

-----
Best wishes, Owen.