On 08/08/2014 12:47 PM, Pikov Andropov wrote:
Joel Madero wrote on 8/8/2014 12:39 PM:
I really just got a little laugh (not following the thread generally) but:

     Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote on 8/8/2014 9:59 AM:

     > Everything really depends on you neighbors' needs, and wants.  You need
     > to discuss with them what they want our of the software packages you
     > install for them.

     Not my neighbors! They want to be able to open DOC files, write letters,
     maybe do a simple spreadsheet. So compatibility with MSO files is
     super-important.

     Software should be transparent.

Having "software should be transparent" next to "be able to open DOC
files" (doc of course being closed source proprietary software for years
controlled by a company who is anything but transparent) reads a bit
comical :)
What difference does it make that a file was produced by a proprietary
program?

The operator of LO would like to be able to just click on that file's
icon or name have LO open it, without having to know anything else about
LO or Microsoft.

That's what I meant by transparent.

If you just want to use the .doc, .xlt, etc., file formats, LibreOfice will do fine. For MS Office, the formats ending with "x" is a problem even for their older version. MSO 2007 might have trouble reading DOCX files created from the newer versions, even though they are all called a DOCX file. MSO keeps changing things inside the "x" file formats, especially the latest version.

That is why I always tell the MS Office users I know to save the files in the formats without the "x" on the end. I have to say it simply like that since most would mot know things like OOXML or other term I could use.

Still get some "x" files emailed to me and most work fine for me and LibreOffice. It seems that every major version release of LibreOffice seems to get these "x" documents to read better and better - for those few that do not work well. I have a Windows laptop that has some Word "reader" packages from MS and the problem .docx files are a problem with the latest Word reader I use. SO it may not be LibreOffice but the version of MS Office that sends me these documents.

So, if your neighbors do not have MSO installed, have them try LibreOffice. For the Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Red Hat systems, well there is no other options for them. They cannot get a MS Office version for Linux. Also, the cost of getting a package for each and every system that might be able to run MS Office could be too expensive for you neighbors' "pockets". Even one copy is too much for mine. Plus, I will not lease any software, like MS wants you. If you are late on your payments, then you lose access to your documents - plus they could double the lease pricing and you would have to pay it or also lose your access. You have to buy the package of MSO to be safe - well that is my opinion and should not be commented on in this thread since it was covered well months ago in its own thread.