On 08/06/2014 10:31 AM, Sophie wrote:
Hi,
Le 06/08/2014 15:49, arakish a écrit :
So, you do go through stages.  You just misnomered them.

Why not just use that?

Stages:
Alpha
Beta
Release Candidate
Final Release Candidate (LO v4.3.0)
Stable (LO v4.2.6)
Please read this page to know more about our development process
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan
and this to know more about the naming of our versions
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan#Version_scheme

May be you'll understand that both are fully tested and stable.
But LibreOffice is a software that is used in very different
environments that we can't reproduce in our own. That's why, the time
being, advanced users are helping us to reduce the number of bugs and
regressions, that doesn't make the version unstable however.

Kind regards
Sophie

Thanks Sophie
I have had bugs that others did not. One too an update of Ubuntu to remove the "bug"/issue with that version of LO. Another was fixed with the next version or three. There are too many systems out there, and too many flavors of various operating systems, Linux being "named" version of Linux and its version number, plus the different desktop environments, etc.. Ubuntu 13.xx/14.xx has Unity, with post install d.e.'s of KDE, MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE, Gnome3, and many others, along with Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and some others out there. Then add Linux Mint [Ubuntu based] different versions, and the other OS's that use .deb installs. Then add in all of the .rpm install types of Linux OS's. That is a lot of different combinations of version of Linux and desktop environments out there. I have some software that cannot run on the newest Ubuntu or Mint software, since there were changes in the packages needed in the display of a GUI - like Unity, MATE, KDE, etc.. So even the different version numbers have differences that could be an issue, or look like a bug, for LO and its user. Then deal with Windows, and Mac systems. NO testing team, even a 100 people, could test all of the functions of LO with every hardware, software, and OS/d.e. combination out there. The big software companies cannot, so why expect our alpha/beta/release version testers to do that job and find all of those issues/bugs?

4.3.0 passed the "testing and release rules" to get "published". Sure there will be issues in the x.x.0 version. There may be unresolved issues in the x.x.6/7 versions as well. Many have not have had any solutions found to resolve the issue[s] while others have not been replicated by the testers or only by one or two and the developers have not found what is causing the issues - yet.

I rarely pass on version below x.x.3 or .4 to others, and a lot of time not install the x.x.0 version on my systems, unless there is a major upgrade to a part of GUI or some other part of LO that I want to use. Some of the users will update their systems with each and every version in a cycle till the next line comes out and then they go to that line's x.x.0 version.

Our volunteer developers and testing users do their best, before the version go beyond the beta stage AND during the different version number updates. They do their best. Then we do our best to help the users who have problems with LO till the developers and testers can figure out how to fix the issue, if possible. There are too few doing the work on their own time after they get home from their "day jobs". They are volunteers and do not get paid. The last time I knew, we had only one paid person - the one who keeps our servers up and running. Then the money for that position comes from the donations to pay for the costs of the hardware and bandwidth to keep LibreOffice.com [and its associated sites] online and running properly.

I think we are doing a great job for a bunch of volunteers who do the work after they come home from their "day jobs" and spend a few hours on LO "stuff" taking those hours away from "family time". THANKS to all of our volunteers and their families.

Tim L. - volunteer