Tom Davies wrote:
I am beginning to like the sound of "mature branch" and "young branch".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mature_technology : "A mature technology is a technology that has been in use for long enough that most of its initial faults and inherent problems have been removed or reduced by further development." Seems to fit the bill nicely.

Of
course a google search for mature, or young, might bring up some bad sites
that we wouldn't want to be associated with.  It's annoying because
otherwise that might be a really good way of describing the difference
between the 2 branches.

Someone looking for info on the "mature" version of LibreOffice isn't going to search simply for "mature"; they're going to include LibreOffice in the search terms. Currently, a quick search on Google for "LibreOffice mature download" gives at least the first 3 pages of results all relating to LibreOffice.

I don't see "mature" as being any worse than "fresh" in terms of other connotations it might have (I'm in the UK; maybe it's different in other parts of the world...)

So i think we still need to try to think of a really short name for each
branch that describes what it's advantage is over the other branch.

"Fresh" and "Mature" seem fine to me. Alternatively, perhaps "long term support" for the older branch, although I'm not sure that's really accurate since the life cycle of the stable/still/mature/LTS/whatever branch is no longer than any other. As someone else mentioned, whatever terms are used need to be explained in a few words on the downloads page.

To me, "Still" sounds like that branch is stagnant, no longer developed, abandoned... (more apt for the 4.0 branch I'm still using ;o)

Mark.