Re: [libreoffice-users] LO Writer: Highlighting; setting page properties; some more nitpicking

Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com> wrote:

> At 15:40 30/07/2014 +0100, Jon Harringdon wrote:
> >I often highlight some text and have to un-highlight it a little
> >later. This should work like setting/resetting italic or bold
> >attributes: pressing the highlight icon does highlight the marked
> >text and pressing it again (with the same text marked) should remove
> >the highlight.
>
> Surely toggling makes sense only if there are only two choices
> available: highlighted or not highlighted? But that's not so:
> instead, there is a wide range of colours available for highlighting.
> You'll notice that the chosen colour does stick. Evidently the
> designers though it was more likely that users would want to
> highlight other parts of the text with the same colour than to change
> their minds and remove previous highlighting.

I completely understand what you're saying and I agree. The point here
is that your idea how it should work and my idea are not at all
incompatible. I'd simply like an extension to how highlighting is
implemented:

if (selected_text_is_hilited && selected_text_hilitecolour ==
current_hilitecolour)
remove_hilite_from_selected_text();

That's all.

> It occurs to me that you are probably misusing this facility.

That may well be the case. However, I've been misusing this facility for
decades now and I'm not going to change my misusing it any time soon...
muscle memory and all that.

Jon