Hi Tom

TomD wrote
I feel that going with Extensions is better than doing macros.

They have different goals. Extensions are for automated solutions that could
be interesting for other users.
Macros are for quickly solving your own itch.

TomD wrote
Macros seem kinda the MS way of thinking and doing things.  It seems
designed to lock people in and limits sharing by creating things that are
bit proprietary and somewhat brittle.

The fact that the VBA is for Windows (and Mac?) is not related to locking
people in. VBA is a scripting language shared by all MSO programs to allow
automation. The fact that Windows is the dominant OS (and MSO the dominant
office suite) is what contributes to the spread of VBA...

VBA scripts are available from many sites and is what I use for solving
similar problems (since I don't know how to code). It's not so easy to find
BASIC scripts...

TomD wrote
There are bound to be times when things can only be done by using a macro
or when it's temporarily a good idea but that doesn't mean it's always the
best way!

IMO sometimes it's the only way, unless you want to manually repeat hundreds
(thousands) of time the same action taking you much more time (and
increasing the probability of human errors)

TomD wrote
If people really just want to do everything the MS way but have a kinda
cheap MS clone then they are really missing out on a lot of the wealth of
opportunity that OpenSource offers.

I think you are being an Open Source fundamentalist. Creating and using
macros doesn't drag you to the dark side of the force...
Macro users who can't code (such as myself) would be happy if there was a
tool to convert VBA macros to BASIC. Then we could switch to LO/AOO...

Just my 2 cents
Pedro