[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreoffice-users] Calc: let things such as formulas do the rest of the work
- Subject: [libreoffice-users] Calc: let things such as formulas do the rest of the work
- From: david_lynch <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:34:46 +0100
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
In a recent "Macro's in Libre Calc" thread, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak, an expert on macros, wrote:
"Be certain to only do what you really need to do using a macro, and then let things such as formulas do the rest of the work."
Good advice, which I would like to take further. It is frustrating, as a user, not to be able to use formulas to do things that a macro could do. I'd like to propose as a (long-term) design aim:
"Enrich the functionality of Calc to enable formulas and similar to do what currently needs a macro. Use experience gained to influence the OpenFormula specification."
As a simple example, take REPLACE
REPLACE("Text"; Position; Length; "NewText")
My spreadsheets would be greatly simplified if Text and NewText could be regular expressions. Currently, either I have to use macros, or use SEARCH, which does support regular expressions, and code the NewText regular expression myself. It's frustrating as the code to do what I want is in the Edit -> Find & Replace... dialog. Note that the enhanced REPLACE would be OpenFormula compliant.
Another example is character editing within a cell: I realise that this is more demanding technically.
I seek feedback, advice and, I hope, support. In particular:
1. Are there design aims, or similar, in LibreOffice? If so, who owns them: does the Engineering Steering Committee have a role here?
2. Should we progress the strategic aspects first? Or should I propose tactical enhancements such as the one to REPLACE above?
3. How should I push this forward, whether tactically or strategically?
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|Re: [libreoffice-users] Calc: let things such as formulas do the rest of the work||Tom Davies <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-users] Page Break and Page Break with new Style
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-users] Calc: let things such as formulas do the rest of the work
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-users] Page Break and Page Break with new Style
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-users] Calc: let things such as formulas do the rest of the work