Alex ,

using the Dispatcher is not a good idea , use te API and basic to automate some functions as printing to PDF under specific conditions.
Please find below the code i use to print from a Writer doc

Sub export2PDF()

dim oDoc as object

    CheckReportUser()
    sParent = checkparent

   OpenParams = Array(MakePropertyValue("Hidden",True),)

odoc = ThisComponent
'dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")
aray = Split(Date,"/")
D = Join(aray,"-")
aray = Split(Time,":")
T = Join(aray,".")
'path = ConvertToUrl( "file:///C:/export/test " & D & "_" & T & ".pdf" )
sfilename = left(odoc.title,12)& ".pdf"
path = ConvertToUrl( "file:///H:/LowRes_" &  sfilename )
'********
'all documentation about filderdata: >>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/API/Tutorials/PDF_export#PDF_Export_filter_data
'**********
pdfFilterData() = array((makepropertyvalue("UseLosslessCompression", false))
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"Quality",90) ' only if we set UseLosslessCompression to FALSE ( jpg)
'AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ReduceImageResolution",false)
'AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"MaxImageResolution",300) ' only if we set ReduceImageResolution to TRUE (only 75, 150, 300, 600 or 1200 can been used
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"UseTaggedPDF",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"SelectPdfVersion",0) '0= pdf1.4 , 1= pdf-xa
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ExportNotes",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ExportBookmarks",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"OpenBookmarkLevels",-1)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"UseTransitionEffects",true)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"IsSkipEmptyPages",true)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"IsAddStream",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"EmbedStandardFonts",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"FormsType",0)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ExportFormFields",true)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"AllowDuplicateFieldNames",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"HideViewerToolbar",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"HideViewerMenubar",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"HideViewerWindowControls",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ResizeWindowToInitialPage",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"CenterWindow",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"OpenInFullScreenMode",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"DisplayPDFDocumentTitle",true)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"InitialView",0)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"Magnification",0)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"Zoom",100)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"PageLayout",0)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"FirstPageOnLeft",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"InitialPage",1)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"Printing",2)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"Changes",4)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"EnableCopyingOfContent",true)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"EnableTextAccessForAccessibilityTools",true)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ExportLinksRelativeFsys",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"PDFViewSelection",0)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ConvertOOoTargetToPDFTarget",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"ExportBookmarksToPDFDestination",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"_OkButtonString","")
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"EncryptFile",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"DocumentOpenPassword","")
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"RestrictPermissions",false)
AddPropertyValue(pdfFilterData,"PermissionPassword","")

   oExport = Array( _
      MakePropertyValue("Overwrite", True), _
      MakePropertyValue("FilterName", "writer_pdf_Export"), _
      MakePropertyValue("FilterData", pdfFilterData), _
   )

oDoc.storeTOURL(path,oExport)
 '  oDoc.close(True)
End Sub

Well eventually I seem to be getting somewhere.  There seems to be a lot of choice.

There are some people who use the method of hiding all the sheets except the sheet to be converted
into a PDF. Which is the method I used below.

Another methed seems to be to use printareas. To me this only seemed useful if one wanted to print
a specific section of a sheet. Though I didn't quite master the intricacies of swithing on/off
print areas though thgis code started to look promising -

rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
rem define variables
dim oFrame   as object
dim oDispatcher as object
Dim CellRangeAddress As New com.sun.star.table.CellRangeAddress
Dim oDoc As Object
Dim oSheet As Object
Dim oFirstSheet As Object
Dim iEndCol As Integer
Dim aPrintRanges(0) As  Object

oDoc = ThisComponent
oFirstSheet = oDoc.Sheets.getByIndex( 0 )
iEndCol = getLastUsedColumn(oFirstSheet)

rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
rem get access to the document
oFrame   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
oDispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")

rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
CellRangeAddress.Sheet = 0
CellRangeAddress.StartColumn = 0
CellRangeAddress.StartRow = 0
CellRangeAddress.EndColumn = 6
CellRangeAddress.EndRow = 35
aPrintRanges(0)=CellRangeAddress

oDoc.Sheets.getByIndex(0 ).setPrintAreas(aPrintRanges())
I used this method to erase the print areas on particular sheets so that the entire sheet became printable.

oDoc.Sheets.getByIndex(1 ).AutomaticPrintArea=True

The third method which seems to be the most promising selects the range of cells to be PDF'd and
actually uses a method from the API. I cobbled this together from this tutorial

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/API/Tutorials/PDF_export

and Andrew Pitonyak’s book converting from Java as I went along

Sub exporttopdf1()

Dim oFrame as object, oDispatcher as object, oDoc as object, oController as object,  oSheet as
object
Dim oRange as object, oDispatcherService as object, oSelection as object
Dim aFilterData(0)  as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
Dim aMediaDescriptor(1)  as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue

oDocument = ThisComponent
oFirstSheet = oDocument.Sheets(0)
oSecondSheet = oDocument.Sheets(1)
oController  = oDocument.getCurrentController()
oFrame = oController.getFrame()
oDispatcherService = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")
oRange = oFirstSheet.getCellRangeByPosition(0, 0, getLastUsedColumn(oFirstSheet), 3)
oController.Select(oRange)
oSelection = ThisComponent.getCurrentController().getSelection()

sURL= "file:///home/alex/example1.pdf"

aFilterData(0).Name = "Selection"
aFilterData(0).Value = oSelection

aMediaDescriptor(0).Name = "FilterName"
aMediaDescriptor(0).Value = "calc_pdf_Export"
aMediaDescriptor(1).Name = "FilterData"
aMediaDescriptor(1).Value = aFilterData
oDocument.storeToURL(sURL, aMediaDescriptor)

End Sub

All the best

Alex