On 10/16/2013 03:26 PM, Christoph Mueller wrote:
Hello,

I just upgraded from LibreOffice 3.4 (I know, a bit late, but I am
conservative). LibreOffice 3.4 always was a reliable choice both for
writing books and other documents. However, it also sometimes
crashed.... But less often than MS...

Since years I am editing a small 8 page magazine written in two or three
columns and using pictures hooked up on the pages (not on the
paragraphs). In LibreOffice 3.4 I had to take care of occasional crashes
when handling the frames and pictures, but it worked.

Now, in the latest release 4.1.? (downloaded yesterday), its getting a
nightmare. No chance to finish the document. Permanent crashes. I only
can tell that it has to do with the frames.

Where can I download the latest 3.x version? I need to complete my work.

Best regards
Christoph Mueller.

http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

This is the link to the archive showing all of the older versions.  You
can choose from that list.

Personally, I use the 4.0.5 version of LibreOffice.  It is the "most
stable" of the versions, until all of the "bugs" are worked out with the
new 4.1.x line.

In the Release Plan page
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

This image shows that the 4.1.x line is still for "Early Adopters".
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibOReleaseLifecycle.png

And the 4.0.5 version is "recommended" for users.

Since you need to have a "stable" version for editing and maintaining a
publication, I would stick to 4.0.5 and then 4.0.6 when it comes out.
When 4.1.x goes to 4.0.4, then it should be ready for most users.

I make a lot of documents, posters, cards, and other "stuff" for several
organizations.  I have over 600 fonts installed on my main "working"
desktop.  I run 4.0.5 on a Ubuntu/Linux system.  I do use a Windows
laptop to test out the newest versions of the 4.1.x line, but it is not
completely ready for one of my needs.  Hopefully the issue if fixed by
4.1.4.