The previous suggestions should work for input from a file into a new
spreadsheet, but if you have an existing spreadsheet, you may have date and
time in either date and time or text format. Anyone working with date and
time, date, time, or number formats may have this problem.

It will not matter if your date and time entries are static, but sorting the
entries by date is usually why a spreadsheet is used. I suggest using the
ISO8601 format [Fri 1999-12-31 23:59:59 (NN YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS)] as that
will sort properly as text if the entries are all from the same time zone.

My problem was because I tried to solve the problem within the spreadsheet
and there is no known way to do that. My solution is to take the entire
column of data out of the spreadsheet, enter it into a simple word processor
(gedit for example) to remove all formatting and copy it back into the
spreadsheet. I make sure the column is correctly formatted before pasting
the data. Unfortunately, a direct copy and paste special does not work as
there is no unformatted option, just check boxes to include or exclude data
formats. Copy a text encoded date and paste special will paste the data only
if text is checked.

I hope my description of what works for me is clear enough for you to use
the same (or similar) procedure.