At 07:30 25/04/2012 -0700, Jerry Gonly wrote:
I am using Windows 7 - Pro for the OS

*The problem I am encountering:*
When I composed a document using Libre Writer and then copy the folder to another computer, I lose the rights to be able to re-save the document under the same name on the other computer. In my case this was with an HTML type file. I found I can save the document under another name, but the original name of the document is locked out even if I was to delete it, and then try to re-save it again. The name is critical for the operation of the file, because there are associated graphics (picture) files that are displayed in this type of documents.

*An observation that I found:*
After some lengthy investigation, I found an invisible file in that fold with an unusual name. To see this folder I had to make some changes in how Windows Explorer displays files. I had to go in to the properties of Win's Explorer and allow it to display system and hidden files. The unusual file name that was displayed was .~lock.index.html# HTML#File To have the rights to save my document in another computer was to delete the invisible lock file.

I looked inside of this unusual type file. Listed was the name of the original computer that I first edited the file, the name of the person who this computer was registered to, and also a bunch of code that is obviously part of the operation of the software reading this file.

*Question:*
Why is Libre Office set up to lock user rights to files, when the user who is me; never requested (that I know of) to lock the file rights?

*Comment:*
Overall, I find Libre Office to be excellent. I like the simplicity and logic in how it works. Yes... There are some differences between it and MS Office in the more advanced aspects of it, but overall this is a terrific package.

The lock file (hidden but not system, in fact) is - sensibly - designed to control access to your document file by others when you have it open. It should be deleted when you close the file. When you copy the document file to another computer, there is no reason to take the lock file with it.

I'm guessing, but I think you must have saved your document file but left it open in LibreOffice when you copied or transferred the folder containing the file. The lock file would still have existed, and the copy of it on the other computer would not be deleted when you eventually closed the document on the first computer.

There are probably two ways to do what you need reliably:
o Save the file from within LibreOffice directly to whatever is your transfer medium. Before disconnecting the transfer medium or transmitting the folder, *close* the document in LibreOffice. o Save the file from within LibreOffice. Again, *close* the document in LibreOffice. Now use Windows Explorer ("Computer") in Windows 7 to copy or transfer the folder as necessary.

In both cases, the lock file should not be present in the transferred copy of the folder.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker