On 2012-01-20 8:32 AM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Forums usually allow the hard-core mailing-list fans to subscribe to
one, many or all threads in the forum so the net result would be
about the same for you.  It would just reduce the amount of complex
stuff that less sophisticated users would have to do in order to see
answers to the one-and-only thread they are interested in.

Except that you then have to log into  the forum to respond...

Forums suck for active discussion like this for people who are active in
many different venues... they are great however for a Help' type of
repository.

That said, there is no reason we couldn't have both... and one thing I'd
like to see are official forums that are populated with answers to FAQs
asked on the lists that people can be referred to if all they want is an
answer to one specific question...

Well, hoping this can put an end to this twist in the thread, and to
save Florian from having to say it.

There is an AskBot web service being readied for service in the very
near future (can't give you a date, as I don't know it), and would
strongly urge people preferring a web forum to give this service a
reasonable try.

I first looked at this type of service sceptically, but I put a fair bit
of time to really look at it and the more I dug into it the more
attractive it became. I'm not saying it will make everyone happy but I
think it deserves very serious consideration.

//drew

ps there is a test instance of the software up, but it seems rather
broken at the moment..so if you don't already have the URL I'll pass on
posting it to this email.