Get the best of both worlds - On Ubuntu 10.04, use GNOME but in the Synaptic Program Manager, install KDE 4. That way GNOME is still your default desktop package, but you get the good stuff from KDE as well.

ALSO - IMPORTANT
When you update OS, make sure you save your hidden "dot" folders for your email package to some other name. That way you can then save the folder back to the proper hidden dot folder after the upgrade of OS. PLUS if you do this, you can save your weekly email use so you always have a backup or two JUST IN CASE you have a major problem/crash/melt-down, etc., etc.. I found out this the hard way.

I have not gone to 11.xx due to the fact it want the default boot resolution to be one that my monitor cannot do. I will be getting a bigger and better monitor sometime soon.

ALSO, I prefer to install LO from the ones put out by the LO site instead from a PPA. I know you have to install it on Ubuntu with the Terminal, but it is worth the simple steps.

"msttcore-whatever or Java-anything" - If you do not have MS core fonts installed, you can easily find it by searching the Synaptic Program Manager. search for "ttf-mscorefonts-installer - Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts". Actually you should add the MS core fonts, since a large amount of people use them on their documents and as the default font[s] for their emails.

As for Java, you get OpenJDK and OpenJRE with Ubuntu, so you will not need the non-open-source version. Make sure you have the JRE installed, but add JDK as well for good measure.