Are you really "stuck" or just unwilling to explain to your clients
that you are using LO and the benefits derived from using LO?

The problem is not that we are unwilling to explain to our co-workers that
we are using LO. We, as I suppose many others, are trying to introduce LO in
our organization slowly, step by step. Maybe it will never happen that all
users use LO, but I personally would be happy if even half of them do.
So, this means that we need interoperability between the new LO users and
the old MS users. For the sake of this interoperability we are choosing the
MS formats. We also cannot use the ODF format unfortunately because our
external corespondents use MS.

You ask why we use LO then? Well, we have, of course, legal copies of M$
Office, but they tend to age if you don't pay for ever new versions. So, we
want to use it for the simple reason of saving some money on MS licenses.

As for legal implications of signing MS formats with LO, I agree with
krackedpress that this should not be an issue, although I'm not 100% sure. I
hope there will be some universal standard for some kind of file container
in the future where you could embed the actual file and it's digital
signature together, whether it be MS document, LO documents, or even PDF,
JPG, PNG, MP3, AVI...