On 09/13/2011 03:57 PM, e-letter wrote:
On 13/09/2011, draganb<d_bocevski@yahoo.com>  wrote:
Hi all,
we started using LibreOffice as an alternative to MS Office in our
organization, on some of the computers. It all started well, but we've hit a
wall with digital signing. As I understand, the document must be in
OpenDocument format for the signing to work. The problem is that we will not
be able to use the LibreOffice native format in the near future and we are
stuck with the MS formats for which the signing doesn't work.

Firstly, I shall assume your organisation has legal installations of
m$. Correct me if wrong, but there may be a legal implication as a
result of using digital signatures, so why would you want to use LO
generate a digital signature for a proprietary format not owned by LO?
This may be a legal problem for LO assuming a digital signature is
supposed to authenticate the user, content and the software used to
create that content and so it is entirely appropriate for LO to
provide digital signatures only for the native odf.

Are you really "stuck" or just unwilling to explain to your clients
that you are using LO and the benefits derived from using LO?

Of course, the main benefit is supposed to be the advantages of odf...

Is there any way around this? Or maybe I should post this as a feature
request?

Well, m$ users will vote for this because of the short-term
convenience, but it would be a very bad consequence for LO. See

You need to perform a cost benefit analysis for your use of LO;
otherwise, revert to m$.

Maybe the company wants to have some way to make sure that their document show that they come from their office, and not someone doing some creative editing and claiming that it came from them. Digital Signing is not just for MS to determine if you have a legal copy of their products. There are digital sigs for emails and web sites. I have received some documents that must have a digital sig or it is not legal.

How many businesses really would risk problems with pirated copies of Office or XP/Vista/Win7? Most would not.

To be honest, if LibreOffice is to be a replacement in the business offices, it must be able to handle the file formats, digital sigs, and any other thing that a normal user [not power user] would use MS Office for. That is the market LO was designed for. If LO does not do these things, then business users will not be able to switch over to LO and still be able to do their normal office work and/or support their clients that do use them. If people see that LO does everything they do now with MSO [including the file formats] AND it is free to get and upgrade, then there is not reason to keep using MSO. If they have clients that use .docx and .xltx files and LO did not support them, then these businesses would not be able to switch to LO and keep their clients happy. And NO, do not ask [or require] the clients to switch to LO, like one thread stated we should do. You could easily loose those clients for asking.