Hi :)
There is some documentation at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/
The Styles and Templates chapter might be very useful and would put you ahead of
most users.

It's a wysiwyg editor in a gui so yes it is very very different from what you
are probably used to.  It can be a little unpredictable and weird at times.  You
might like to press the back-to-front P icon in the tool-bar at the top.  This
will show all the non-printing characters that are usually invisible and will
help you feel more in control of the result.  If your colleagues look over your
shoulder it will drive them mad tho.

Generally the idea is to sort formatting as you type but that can be very
inefficient except when trying to use tables.  You are supposed to  keep going
up to the icons toolbar to click on things to apply formatting to what chunks of
text you have selected or you can click on something such as the B icon to start
making things Bold and then click on the B icon again to get back to normal.
There are a lot of short-cut keys such as Ctrl B that act like the Bold
icon/button but most people have no idea about those.  They will probably help
you a lot tho as it means you don't have to keep 1 hand on the mouse as you try
to type.

Ummm, sorry i can't really help you much!  To be honest it seems like you are
trying to take a step backwards so there might not be a lot of people able to
really help you.  It is worth struggling with it tho.  Just try to avoid being a
perfectionist!
Regards from
Tom :)