Hi :)
Your position is a good one and doesn't need defending.  If we all agreed about
everything all the time it would be very dull.  Lets hope we never get there!

Usually we work towards a win-win so that everyone is happy but in this case we
have been forced into a compromise which no-one has won and some points of view
have lost out more than others.  The fact is (imo) that you are right and other
people (incl me) are trying to defend a less-than-perfect system.

There is a Nabble thread about this and if you have a good idea of how to
implement a better answer then it would be great to add to that thread.  That
seems to be the blocker at the moment, the implementation is not easy.  Other
mailing lists have better answers but the mailing-list system we are using is
different.

Regards from
Tom :)