On Monday 15 August 2011 00:08:50 toki wrote:
On 08/14/2011 08:32 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
the footer merely tell the fellow what email he must send in order
to leave.

There are half a dozen different ways an individual can be subscribed
to this list. Consequently, how to unsubscribe depends upon how the
individual originally subscribed.

Actually, according to the help file that we are dragging the poor
fellow through, there are two:

He can be getting messages one by each, or
He can be getting a digest.

Those are the choices he is being offered to unsubscribe, so if there
are four others, they are being ignored anyway.

I guess each way could be put in the footer, but that would make for
a footer that was at least twenty lines long, and probably closer to
thirty.

Not twenty, two. It should not be a lot of trouble for a dedicated
operative to devise a way to do that.

Or, alternatively, we could continue the current method, which (as far
as I have seen from the many lists to which I subscribe now or have
subscribed in the past, is unique, and which produces entirely too many
requests to the list membership to "unsubscribe me". There is nothing
special about this list that requires a more clumsy unsubscribe method
than any othe list on the planet.

jonathon

--
Stan Goodman