________________________________
From: Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Sent: Thu, 28 July, 2011 14:15:40
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: New User: Three Questions

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Tom Davies wrote:

It's a bit weird to have to keep copies of fonts in several different
places. I have a feeling that short-cuts (="links" in linux and perhaps
Mac?) mightwork well but it's still weird and inconvenient.

Tom,

  I've not needed to do this with WordPerfect/linux, Abiword, or
OpenOffice.org. Yes, it is strange.

  Links in linux are not equivalent to Microsoft shortcuts. The latter are
icons on the root window, but I have no idea what they do behind the scenes.
The default for link creation is a hard link; that is, an actual copy of the
file at a new location. Most of the time a soft link does the job. Those are
pointers to the actual file so there's only one copy on the system.

  I'm not going to dig into the code and try to learn why the application
does not pick up the LHS default location of /usr/share/fonts. Perhaps it's
mimicing a single-user application (which is what I assume Microsoft Office
is) so it wants everything local to the user invoking it. Shrug. A minor
PITA for maintenance, but at least I can now access all the fonts on my
system.

Regards,

Rich

Hi :)
If you have fixed the problem then that's great but it would help other people
if you could just post a bug-report to let the devs know that there is something
worth fixing.  Posting a bug-report does not mean fixing the problem yourself
and does not mean doing coding work yourself.  It's roughly like sending an
email to the devs group and leaving it for them to do the work.  By "like" i do
not mean "identical to".

"Equivalents" is also a very ambiguous word.  I was referring to soft-links as
created in a DE when you right-click on a file and choose "Make Link" or on a
menu item and choose "Add to desktop" (or panel).  My understanding of
hard-links is sketchy but i think they don't create copies of files
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/understanding-unixlinux-symbolic-soft-and-hard-links.html

Regards from
Tom :)