I read and write OOXML files in Office 2003 all the time, and have since the compatibility pack was
released.  I still use that for testing purposes (and testing of the open-source ODF converter that
works with Office 2003 also).  I've not stumbled on any material compatibility issues except when
Office 2003 simply can't handle an up-level feature (such as expanded change-tracking capability),
and then the degradation tends to be non-catastrophic.

I shall bite my tongue about the rest of your unsupported statements, but for two.  (1) ODF 1.2 was
not available as a stable Committee Specification (still not yet an OASIS standard, but soon) until
March 2011.  Office 2007 SP1 came out when?  How do you consider the "newer-spec" being any of the
things you say, and how could that have mattered for Office 2007?  (2) The OOXML formats are
described in ISO/IEC Standard IS 29500:2008, the downloads are free from ISO (if you know where to
look) and the ECMA equivalents are also free for download.  What's secret about that?

ODF 1.0 is also the current level of the ISO Standard, which is specified in many international
contexts.  I recall Microsoft saying they would be ODF 1.1 compatible (since the deviations from
ODF 1.0 are minor and the incorporation of accessibility support in 1.1 is important) even though
it hadn't achieved international-standard status.

Also, it is important to understand that ODF 1.x compatibility and compatibility with
OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice are different things.

I am willing to overlook your various opinions about Microsoft products, but these kinds of
unsupported material claims deserve public fact-checking.

 - Dennis