I am facing what I think should be an easy problem, but after reading the
help guide and playing around for about an hour I can't seem to get
LibreOffice writer to do what I want. I finally decided it would be easier
to ask.

Okay so I am setting up a book, with fairly specific guidelines. the only
thing giving headaches is the page numbers. I am trying to merge the
introduction, which is five pages, numbered in roman numerals, with the
contents, which is a hundred and some pages, numbering in arabic numerals,
without changing either the format or page numbers in either document.
Changing style sheets gets me half way, the document starts its page number
over at the beginning of the contents. But the footer format always applies
to the entire document; so that it's either roman numerals or Arabic
numerals. Is there someway to change that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rachel