And why is that?

Did you ever stop to think about it?

Microsoft and Apple are sealed proprietary OSs.  A bunch of Microsoft
stuff got migrated to Apple when Bill Gates bought a substantial part of
Apple years ago.  As long as they only develop/test with the original
"core" release, they can shove it out safely.

It's been a long time since I looked at the build process for FireFox,
but, isn't it also a self contained exe?  Yes, it has supporting files,
but on Windows and MAC it doesn't rely on other things does it?

The .SO linking is a real kick to the groin for developers.  It's a
mindset you aren't going to change soon in Linux land, but, if you want
to have things which an be replaced without thinking they need to be
completely self contained.  Most computers have a gig or more of RAM
these days.  Even the bottom end computers are coming with 1TB disk
drives.  We need to shed this development model which allowed multiple
users to run in 128K because that simply isn't a requirement anymore.