At 17:35 17/07/2011 -0700, Wayne Stidolph wrote:
I have a variable numbers of data elements for each day, and I'd like to hide all but the last of each day (or export only the last-of-day values); is there an easy way?

Example data:
row | date | reading number | value | ...
1 | 7/1/2011 | 1 | 3
2 | 7/2/2011 | 1 | 6
3 | 7/2/2011 | 2 | 7
4 | 7/2/2011 | 3 | 5
5 | 7/4/2011 | 1 | 4
6 | 7/5/2011 | 1 | 5
7 | 7/5/2011 | 2 | 6

So I'd like to extract:
1 | 7/1/2011 | 1 | 3

4 | 7/2/2011 | 3 | 5
5 | 7/4/2011 | 1 | 4

7 | 7/5/2011 | 2 | 6

Is there a way to use conditional formatting to hide a row, based on a test of the reading number of the current row compared to the reading number of the next row?

Yes. Your dates are in column A, starting in row 1. In row 1 of a new column, put the formula
=A1<>A2
Now fill this down the new column. The last rows of each day - which you want to keep - are now marked TRUE and the others FALSE. Select the new column and go to Data | Filter > | Standard Filter... . Ensure that "Field name" refers to your new column, and choose "=" for Condition and TRUE (or 1) for Value.

To export the required values, just copy the filtered region and paste it somewhere else: only the visible cells will be copied.

Note that you can hide the new column if preferred.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker