In news:1310666739.4101.16.camel@planas-pinguy,
planas <jslozier@gmail.com> typed:
Hi Geoff,

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 08:04 -0700, floridabrits wrote:

Hello LibreOffice fans...

I'm looking for some help with calc on a spreadsheet
that I have set up. I'm
not sure if it needs a macro set up, or if there's
something in LibreOffice
that will do this for me, or if I have to seek custom
development to do
this....

Here's the problem:

- I have a large risk management spreadsheet that
contains a number of cells
with currency based risk numbers in it; some of these
are manually entered
by the user and some are calculated from cells where the
user enters the
information.
- Currently, the financial risk cells are all in USD ($)
currency.
- If I have a user in another country that wants to use
this spreadsheet,
I'd like that person to be able to either press a
button, or select from a
drop-down list, a list of available currencies to choose
from. - When they choose their currently, I want a macro
(or something!) to go and
find all the US currency based cells in the spreadsheet
and change them to
the currency selected by the user.
- If I can get this to work, then this spreadsheet could
pretty much be used
in any country/currency and the user would not have to
go into every single
currency based cell and make the changes needed (which
would be time
prohibitive).
- i.e. Looking for a minimum click solution to achieve
this. I do realize
that the local install will change the currency for the
user by default, but
I want to be able to over-ride this so that if a local
user sees the
spreadsheet in USD and changes it to, for example, GBP,
then when he sends
it back to me, I see the numbers in GBP and not my local
language setting (which would default back to USD).

I hope I have explained this clearly!   If not please
don't hesitate to
ask...

Has anyone done this before or have any ideas how to
achieve what I am
looking for?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Geoff

If I understand you problem, you want to show the
currency in a user defined manner. One possibility is to
have a cover worksheet that summarizes the data in any
currency. You might use a macro to set the proper
currency and exchange rates.

One idea that might make finding all the cells with data
to be converted is to name each one as a one-cell range
(ex the cell sheet4!C3 is named 'Fred').

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com

You could only make that work if you included a look-up on the exchange
rates for every monetary system you wanted to use as they change daily, even
hourly in some cases, and a number today m,ight not be accurate tomorrow.
How much accuracy do you requre in other words? You could take a bath in
some cases.

Otherwise, just set up your currency multipliers in hidden columns and do
the multiplication.

HTH,

Twayne`