Am 07.07.2011, 21:19 Uhr, schrieb Twayne <tom@twaynesdomain.com>:
[...]
In case I didn't make it clear, the runaway scrolling occurred when I was
moving the pages via the scrollbar so I could watch the page numbers easier.
But I could make the same thing happen by scrolling wtih the mouse wheel.

Ah, OK. No, I don't have that problem either.

My usual "fix" is just to break a
large document into several smaller documents to get LO to handle it,
although I haven't created a Master Document yet and don't know if that will
bring back the problems.

Splitting documents does help (I'm doing that, too), but it can indroduce new problems: If you have rferences across several part documents, that will give you an error message in the individual files, but the correct content in the global one. Which can change line and page breaks, and that can change the layout. Shouldn't be a problem but can become one. Also it took me a while to figure out how to have proper page breaks between single documents.
But then, it makes editing a lot easier, especially with many images.

They
aren't large images either in real estate or file size; they're about 1/16 of a page, most of them, and there may be 6 to 10 smaller ones per page in a
table which is apt to really screw up in LO.

In my experience, the problem starts with more than one image per paragraph and with more than half the page covered in images. But if you organize them in a table, that'll keep them together. Depending on whether the table also contains text, you could alternatively arrange them in LO draw and then copy/paste them into the writer document. Then it's really just one object, and that is easier to position than many small ones.

Cheers,

 Zak