Reopening Writer, I followed instructions on
a recovery Wizard.  An error message flashed on and then a document
appeared, but a very old version of the document.

Does not sound logic to me...

To me, it sounds strangely familiar :(
it has happened several times that I edited a (writer or impress) document, saved it, then some time later openoffice crashed. Auto recovery was often not able to recreate the saved document but gave me an older version instead. I have changed my habit now to never use the auto-recovered versions. If in doubt, I will make a safety copy of the regularly saved file, recover what LO gives me, compare the two versions, and in most cases I find the versions are either identical, or the one that I saved by hand is newer.

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time, but it is also not easily reproduced (and of course happens more often when I'm in too much of a hurry to actually produce something good enough for a bug report ...

See also here, at point 4.:
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=11809

The least thing that should be done about it is not writing over the regular saved file with the autosave. I've never really busied myself with this to the point where I understand how it works, so I don't feel like I'm really able to tell where the error is and what should be done, but I'd like for something to be done.

 Zak