TOP Posted in order to avoid snipping any of the data for future readers:

Hi Zak,

Thanks for your time & patience in your reply. I agree with your synopsis
and have experienced each of the issues you mentioned with one exception and
the addition of the runaway scrolling.
   In case I didn't make it clear, the runaway scrolling occurred when I was
moving the pages via the scrollbar so I could watch the page numbers easier.
But I could make the same thing happen by scrolling wtih the mouse wheel.
   The exception is that these documents are OK in Word. Now and then few
images will move to slightly beyond the page border edge but not many and
they're pretty easy to spot and correct. My version of Word is Office for XP
(Word 2002) so maybe that explains why mine works so much better if not
almost perfectly for image positions. Unless I do something to cause
repagination of the document, the images all remain aligned OK.
   My goal is to get rid of needing Word, but I'm just not even getting
close, really. So I'll probably keep Word around until/unless LO gets to the
point where it can handle my situation. My usual "fix" is just to break a
large document into several smaller documents to get LO to handle it,
although I haven't created a Master Document yet and don't know if that will
bring back the problems. It didn't on another file I did that to. They
aren't large images either in real estate or file size; they're about 1/16
of a page, most of them, and there may be 6 to 10 smaller ones per page in a
table which is apt to really screw up in LO.

One thin I haven't thought of is doing the editing in Web layout; that might
be worth checking into. That's a good idea,  I think. And yes, I always set
layout controls on all images. Centered in tables and left in the body text,
anchor in the same cell as the image.

Thanks for the clarifcations and food for thought!

HTH,

Twayne`

n news:op.vx31csk8ov9kiw@monster-linux.zuhause,
Zak McKracken <zak_mckracken@openoffice.org> typed:
Oh, boy, sad story!

LO (and OO before that, too) have troubles if you go over
a certain image density (i.e. the ratio of images to text
becomes too low). That will make positioning very
difficult. I have alo noticed that sometimes the
positioning of images does not seem to work as
advertised, but that is always hard to be sure about
since many of the image-placing criterions are not
obvious.
That said: I have had to clean up large documents with
many images before, and this is how it worked best:
Go to "View -> web layout", that shoud show you the
document on one endless page, as wide as the LO window
is. This is as close to the "source" of the document as
you will get. You can then anchor all images where you
want them to appear in the text. If the document was
converted from MS Word maybe you should also make sure
that each is inside a frame. I always set the frames to
scale automatically in vertical direction, and the image
inside it to 100% horizontal size (while keeping aspect
ratio), then make oush the lower edge of the frame up,
forcing it to become as small as its content allows it. I
usually use the frame template and set it to "top of the
paragraph, right edge of the printable area", anchor to
paragraph, as well as the sizing stuff. After that
selecting a frame and doubleclicking the template will do
the trick. Except if you habe multiple images in one
paragraph of course, then you'll need to micro-manage,
because they'll tend to overlap, even if they're not
allowed to.     After that is done, every image should have a proper
anchor and know where it's supposed to go. That's when
it's time to save (better save to a new filename, or save
a new version) and switch to "print layout". This is when
LO will determine line and page breaks and so on. This
will also cause some images to move because they were in
the middle of a page break or so. There should now be
much fewer images out of place than in the beginning, and
those have to be moved by hand.  I have never had one of the
scrolling-runaway you
describe, but still scrolling with an image "in hand" can
be painful and you'll miss the right place too often. I
usually set LO to display at least two pages side by
side, or even more (glad to have a large screen!), then
scroll to a point where I can see both the page where an
image is and the page it's supposed to go to. I pull it
over, and if the zoom should not allow me to position it
right then, I just leave it in the vicinity, zoom in and
finish the job.
Thad said, as mentioned above, there seems to be a
critical image density above which things go downhill.
Last time I was useing MS word for a similar project, it
had the same problem only worse, but that's a long time
ago, so I can't tell how it is these days. In LO
sometimes scaling images down a bit helps, or spacing
them further apart (i.e. avoid having to images in one
paragraph).
That said: Both MS Word and LO are not the same as a good
graphical layout program. If visually pleasing and clean
graphical design and good layout are priorities, there is
probably other software out there that is better suited.
I've heard good things about Scribus, but haven't really
tested it. It is probably not suited well for large
texts, though.
Good luck,
   Zak