Hi :)
yw :)  I think it might be worth looking in "Styles and Templates" (Chapter 3)
in the getting started guide
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

The word Styles is used very differently from Word and i haven't had time to
explore it at all but from other questions here it sounds as though that or
templates might help you settle the margins issue.

I found that setting the default paper size to A4 rather than US letter size
sorted all that for me but i quite like wide margins
Format - Page - Page (tab)
The top option sets the default paper size (i think)
Regards from
Tom :)