This should NOT be appearing on the moderator's desk any longer. Please
alert me if it does.

XP SP3+, LO 3.3.3:

I thought I had tested enough to know that a long document with several
images in it was safe to edit in LO now so today I dug into the process and
started checking through everything. This particular chapter, 74 pages long,
probably contans about 120 images. Mostly .jpg's. Image sizing and
formatting was done long ago, as was the start of the original document.
   I opened the Word .doc file with LO, save it as .odt, closed Word and LO,
then reopened the file in LO. The first think I had to do was go through an
re-anchor all the images from character to paragraph. Some had moved a bit,
not too badly, but images in tables were overlapping. falling out of the
tables, etc. but it was manageable.
   Then on 47 of 74, everything went to hell on me. The images were all over
the place and any mouse-work to try to reposition them resulted in a
permanent scroll up or down, to the very end of the file. It became
impossible to re-position an image in any way because the slightest hint of
an up or down with the mouse resulted in the auto-scroll taking off on its
own. It took several clicks to stop it prior to the end of the document and
by that time I was many pages past the part of the document I was wanting to
edit. It was not possible to do any further editing.
    I DELETED the first 40 pages, leaving only 7 pages of the document in
the file, and the problems did not go away. Although it doesn't run amuck
with auto-scroll that way, images move and won't let you mouse them back
sometimes, and in a table not until you physically also move the anchor by
mouse to the cell you want the image in.

I can make either the .doc or .odt versions available should anyone want to
see them. For me right now, I'm going to have to stick to Word to work on
these files which is a big disappointment; there are several of them.
  Also please realize that these are all copyrighted material although the
copyrights aren't in this chapter yet; they're contained in the Master
Document which has not yet been assembled for the LO versions.

TIA,

Twayne`

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.