Hi Rik,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM, rdb <rdbusser@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not really sure how to go about lodging a feature request, so I'll just
disguise this as a question.

I'm trying to write a fairly long book with OpenOffice and in general things
go very smoothly. So far, I'm pretty happy that I ditched Word (very fickle
with long documents) for LibreOffice. The problems start when I have to
insert cross-references:

There is no obvious way to change how your cross-reference is formatted or
represented. For example, my sub-headings are like this:
1.
 and the dot will show in my in-text cross-reference, whatever I'm trying to
do to make it go away.
There is no search option in 'Headings' or 'Numbered paragraphs'. Why would
you need that? Well, wait till you're writing something with 20 chapters,
200 section headings, and 2000 numbered example sentences.
The only option then is to scroll through all items in the pane on the
right-hand side. Problem is, you can't resize the pane and scrolling takes a
while with hundreds or thousands of items.
If I'm not mistaken, LibreOffice does not have an obvious way to search for
broken cross-reference links, unlike Word, which turns your link into a
bolded "Error! Blablalbalbla". That's a problem if you just changed all
headings in Chapter 20 and you want to check if all references to it in
Chapter 1 are still ok.

Does anybody have similar problems? Are there any plugins to give you more
versatile cross-ref options? Am I overlooking some clever tricks?

The LibreOffice docs team writes some long user guides. We use the
approach of one document per chapter, and then agglomerate all that
within a global document.

Maybe this would work for you?

--
David Nelson