Hi Ric
2011/6/28 rdb <rdbusser@gmail.com>

Hi all,

I'm not really sure how to go about lodging a feature request, so I'll just
disguise this as a question.

I'm trying to write a fairly long book with OpenOffice and in general
things
go very smoothly. So far, I'm pretty happy that I ditched Word (very fickle
with long documents) for LibreOffice. The problems start when I have to
insert cross-references:

 Hi

I know, that is not what you want to hear, but LibreOffice, OpenOffice or
Word are not the best tools to write a book with cross-references, numbered
paragraphs, and all thee other things you may need to write a book.

The best tool I know for this is *Lyx ( http://www.lyx.org/ )*

Quote fron: * http://www.lyx.org/
*

“LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing based on
the *structure* of your documents
(WYSIWYM<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYM>)
and not simply their appearance
(WYSIWYG<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG>).

LyX combines the power and flexibility of TeX<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX>
/LaTeX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX> with the ease of use of a
graphical interface. This results in world-class support for creation of
mathematical content (via a fully integrated equation editor) and structured
documents like academic articles, theses, and books. In addition, staples of
scientific authoring such as reference list and index creation come
standard. But you can also use LyX to create a letter or a novel or a
theatre play or film script. A broad array of ready, well-designed document
layouts are built in.

LyX is for people who want their writing to look great, right out of the
box. No more endless tinkering with formatting details, “finger painting”
font attributes or futzing around with page boundaries. You just write. On
screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output — or richly
cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced — looks like nothing else.

LyX is released under a Free Software/Open Source
license<http://www.lyx.org/License>,
runs on Linux/Unix, Windows, and Mac OS X, and is available in several
languages <http://www.lyx.org/I18n>. “

 End Quote

 I hope this answer was helpful to you

 Regards