Hi :)
Things have moved on a lot in the last few years.  MS Office can read the older
ODFs and LibreOffice / OpenOffice can read the older ".doc" and ".xls" etc.  The
newer ".docX" and ".xlsX" etc do often work but sometimes create problems with
images and text-boxes and stuff.  You can change the defaults in LibreOffice.

Word-processor formats will often display slightly differently on different
machines and in different versions of word-processors but it's easy to edit.
This still happens with Rtfs too.  The pdf (= Portable Document Format) displays
the same on every machine but it's not so easy to edit.  LibreOffice can export
to Pdf so you can keep 2 versions; one to edit the other so people can see how
it should look.  If you need to collaborate with other people that all need to
make edits to a document then Google-Docs might be a good option, or else just
give them all links to download LibreOffice or ask your IT department to
roll-out onto all machines.

MS Office is less sophisticated about placing pictures and text-boxes and stuff
like that so sometimes pictures and things get moved around a bit.  This does
also happen between any 2 versions of MS Office.  However, documents created in
1 version of LibreOffice look the same in other versions.

Trying to convince MS Office users to use formats that everyone can read is "an
uphill struggle".  They seem unable to use "Save As ..." and they are suspicious
of any other format.  Oddly it is only their default formats that have carried
malware.

To change the default formats in LibreOffice / OpenOffice go to
Tools - Options - Load/Save - General
to change the default ODF to the older 1.0/1.1.  Alternatively at the bottom of
the same screen perhaps change the 2 drop-downs to save "Text Documents" to
"Word 97/2000/Xp" by rolling back up the list 1 place.  For Spreadsheets and
Presentations roll back up the list 2 places to avoid saving as templates.

Regards from
Tom :)