Nino,

On 2011-06-20, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

lee [mailto:lee@yun.yagibdah.de]  wrote:

Just make the list larger, as screen space permits.

Lee, I agree with the commenter here.

I think it is also a bug when the Open dialog has a pull-down list
that extends beyond the edge of the screen.  My understanding is they
are supposed to move left, down, or up, to avoid that.  All the
well-behaved applications I run do that.  In fact, I take advantage of
that fact in arranging to take screen shots where dialogs and pop-ups
are forced inside the frame of the application.

Also, I don't know what the minimum dimension of screen for successful
use of LibreOffice might be, but the list we're talking about could
easily exceed it.  The bigger problem is that it appears to be random
so folks have no clue that they should perhaps keep looking once they
find a likely suspect (that happens to not work).

It is kind of random.

The problem is that the useful display area depends on the display
physical size, the defined screen resolution (as in density of pixels,
DPI), the screen size (number of pixels, what's commonly called
resolution) and the text size. (And also on the way LibO reacts to these
variables.)

A subproblem now is with the new netbooks, where manufacturers try to
make "more space" available by increasing the resolution (DPI) of the
display, while the OS runs at 96 DPI.

This leads some users to just use the 96 DPI and the default, others to
increase font size so things become readable (thus somehow reducing the
available space) and others to actually set the resolution to the
correct value (which will reduce even more the available space).

Yesterday I was pointed to a 3-year-old weblog post by Federico Mena
Quintero, about how font sizes are affected by this problem:

  http://people.gnome.org/~federico/news-2007-01.html#font-sizes

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

Thanks for the link. I would add another group to his users, those who
are old enough to need reading glasses or bifocals would prefer a larger
font on screen.

I have seen some webpages use a very small font that is was impossible
to read.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com