Am 22.06.2011 09:59, Tom Cloyd wrote:
My list box disaster just don't quit.

To this point, I've learned that the only quick, simple way to get a
list box onto a form is to use the list box wizard. Last night it
worked. Tonight it worked. Then, it stopped.

I now have a form with 5 list boxes. Three have spontaneously, quite
without reason, disabled themselves. They passively display the value in
their source table pointed to by the key value in the linked main table
fie.d. BUT, the display is now a ghostly gray. I have had to change the
background color just to see it at all. They also no longer are a part
of the tab order and you cannot click into them at all. Also, the drop
down no longer works at all. It is now just a data display field, not a
list box. Worthless. I have poured over their properties for over an
hour, trying to find the problem. No luck.

Another formerly working list box appears still to work, but will not
update the main record field to which it is linked (this is the problem
I was having last night, before I started using only the wizard to make
list boxes).

Finally, I find that I can no longer CREATE functioning list boxes,
using the wizard, which puts me out of the list box business altogether.

I just rebooted, hoping it might help, but it didn't (small chance!).

You can download this troubled database for examination HERE
<http://www.tomcloyd.com/misc/storage_containers.zip>. Look at the
"storage containers > items" form.

You'll see that my subform is working fine, The three brown-background
list boxes are now duds. The "quadrant" list box appears to work but
actually does nothing to the main table. The "macro-container" list box
is recently created, and does exactly what the brown boxes do: nothing.

Any ideas, anyone?

This type of database uses to work very well for me, particularly the list boxes use to work flawlessly. Your relations appear somewhat messed up (at least unclear to me). This may impose some difficulties entering valid data.
Each container is of one type, thus the 1-n relation.
Each of the items belongs to one container, but the form design indicates that you want many of the same items distributed in different containers. So you need a list of containers, a list of items and an inventory list mapping many item-IDs to many container-IDs. The mapping table constitutes the subform with a column filled by list boxes so you fill many different items into the main form's selected container (see my example file linked in the other post). Each room belongs to one container, I think. But why does it share the same foreign key with a location table? Is there a location (place) in the room or is it the geographical location of the whole container?

The main cause of your list box problem is that your main form is based on a view. Views are always read-only.

[Tutorial] Read-Only in Base :
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26448

Base is very picky in this respect. But with the given tool set it is always(?) possible to get a writable main form from one table and as many writable subforms as needed so you can edit arbitrary complex relations across table boundaries.